Thursday, November 7, 2013

ADDICTION



I am confessing to one of my biggest habits/hobbies. This habit has been apart of who I was/who I am for as long as I could remember. Okay, let me start again; My name is Paul Howard, and I am a sneaker head. *note, all of these shoes were mine at some point, but I don't own anymore. I have newer kicks/ pictures but chose these older pictures for the sake of reminiscing on my work. It will be explained why I don't own them anymore so be patient!


THE COME UP:
Around the time of high school I think it started. I was mostly into what other perceived as the hot shoes (majority were typical Nikes and Air Jordans). What I loved mostly about it was all the crazy designs and colors that made it stand out. The compliments and attention that came with it didn't hurt either. Towards the end of high school, it sort of got tiresome seeing so many people wearing the same shoes that I had. It sort of felt like it was mainstream music that you couldn't escape because somebody is ALWAYS playing it. That however didn't stop the addiction. I eventually found out about these hidden sneaker stores that either sold exclusive kicks not known to mainstream stores or sold kicks that were so old, it was unlikely to come across them again. These stores were so low key back then, you could literally walk right past it and not even know.  

I also found out about these places/events where you can buy, and even sell your own kicks for more exclusive pairs called the Dunk Xchange. It was sort of like a really secret sneaker society that was just really cool to be apart of. It's also crazy thinking about how much money I've made in the past going to these conventions and selling all my stuff. One of my most memorable sells was a pair of Jordans I found in a thrift shop for $35 and sold it for around $650. In its own way, this sneaker obsession gave me great lessons in both being a entrepreneur, and the concept of Supply-and-Demand.    

 Although it doesn't seem like it, sneaker loving/hunting are actually a culture in its very own. It was influenced by things such as sports and music, but became its own thing from there. Through my perspective, being into sneakers is also being into the arts. Each shoe model was designed by an artist. Certain color ways and materials are also chosen by artists as well. The Nike Air Jordan 5 (above) for example, was made by nike, and designed by Tinker Hatfield. It was inspired by a WW2 fight Jet, and made popular by Michael Jordan. These people had a part in making the shoe hot, and I would find it an honor that so many people love my work like that. Its true most people don't care about the art behind the shoe, but it doesn't mean it should be overlooked. Art is art, so don't judge. Godspeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment